Tuesday 29 December 2020

Don’t be Sad by Aidh al-Qarni – Book Review



Don’t be Sad is an attempted self-help book from the cleric Aidh al-Qarni. While the focus of the book is to urge us to not be sad, the book does touch upon other aspects of life – how to be grateful, how to serve god, how to improve oneself, etc.

I would add the disclaimer that I am an atheist and I did not grow up in an Islamic environment – however, I read the book with no pre-conceived notions and I am mature enough to convert a god inspired advice to a eliminate the elements of god and take in only the good.

The book turned out to be a best seller and was highly popular; I often read reviews that even though the writer was inspired from Islam, this book is appealing to everyone. There are some aspects of religion that I find common across all – an all powerful god who has everything pre-determined, a loving god who has created the entire universe, etc. – so these are aspects that I was not a stranger to even though I was not entirely familiar with the teachings of Islam. People of any faith if they are open enough to read a text from another source can appreciate these aspects. I also appreciated that he tried to encourage people to travel and read.

My laboured effort to say something positive on the book ends here, the book was neither well written, nor edited well and I normally do not mind minor printing errors when the book is good but for a book like this, the least that one could have had was flawless publishing (often had ‘1’ in place of ‘l’). Moreover, there was no clear distinction between when he was quoting from the Quran and when he was giving his own commentary; and for the first few pages – we had text in Arabic and I don’t know why. I do not mind the Arabic as I find the script beautiful even though I can’t read, but the use of Arabic has to be consistent. I found that in the first fifty odd passages and then, it was just lost and there were times where it was nearly impossible to distinguish where he was quoting the verses and where it was a commentary.

Coming to the contents, this is addressed to highly privileged Muslims of the world – where he told his readers not to be ‘sad’ because they have a roof over their head, clothes to wear, water to drink, food to eat, etc. I agree with the reasoning for those who have these privileges (and probably those who are reading this book do) – but then, I don’t think he can say these words with a straight face to the people struggling in Yemen and Syria, the poor in Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, etc. (the reason why I picked these states is because the author repeatedly claims that there is nothing to be sad as they are following the one true religion and have all their basic needs covered which is not true for a lot of people in these countries that have a substantial population who adhere to Islam).

I try my best to not bring in logic to a book that fundamentally draws its inspiration from religion but I need to say that this book had instances where it was unintentionally funny; among the many contradictions, I would note one – as to how everything is pre-determined by god so there is no reason to be sad, but that also implies that one being sad at a particular moment is also pre-determined by god and so, why should one resist this pre-determined decision of god to be sad at a particular moment?

It also must be noted that this author is a known plagiarist from with multiple allegations of plagiarism – including for this book (similarities with Dale Carnegie’s How to Stop Worrying and Start Living). There was a comment in his book where he condemned China for use of torture against their prisoners (and claimed they would face god’s wrath); while I condemn those acts too, it was very strange coming from someone in Saudi Arabia – which is known for its record on human rights violations. Moreover, Saudi Arabia claims to do all this in the name of Islam – I am not here to debate whether Saudi Arabia’s interpretation is right, they probably are not – but the least he could have done, if that was his opinion, was to condemn his own country there for misusing Islam for their own political goals (isn’t hereditary succession against Islam to begin with?).

This book can be read if you can overlook him using pejorative terms of people of other religions and countries, if you could overlook misogyny and the obvious logical contradictions. Whether you choose to be sad or not is different, but don’t read this book. I award the book a rating of two on ten.

Rating – 2/10

Have a nice day,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...